“I thoroughly love Peter Paka Paratene and commend the genius thought behind it."
Rawiri Paratene opens Te Pou Tokomanawa Theatre with his swan song season of PETER PAKA PARATENE – Ask Me Anything; a musical, cheeky look through the round window into Rawiri Paratene’s extraordinary life and career.
In a performance career spanning nearly 50 years, Rawiri Paratene (aka Peter David Broughton ONZM…. aka Paka) has graced the worlds stages and screens in iconic performances such as Koro in Whale Rider and his world tour of Shakespeares Globe to Globe. After suffering three strokes since 2019 Paratene has decided to leave the worlds stage - but not before a final turn in the limelight.
In this intimate night, Rawiri shares his own poetry, songs and favourite classical works as he regales the audience with stories of the three distinct phases of his life; Peter, Paka and Paratene. From his youth during the urban shift from Hokianga to South Auckland, his early activism with Ngā Tamatoa, his often outrageous experiences in the heady rush of the coming of age of New Zealand performing arts and his later career that has taken him to perform in over 200 countries.
“..if you’re a fan of this taonga aka our “national treasure” then this is the perfect opportunity to get to know Rāwiri Paratene’s inner thoughts and his extremely cheeky nature in a marvelously intimate setting. Don’t miss it!”
PETER PAKA PARATENE
16 - 24 APRIL 2021
Friday 16 April 2021, 7pm
Saturday 17 April 2021, 7pm
Tuesday 20 April 2021, 7pm
Wednesday 21 April 2021, 7pm
Thursday 22 April 2021, 7pm
Friday 23 April 2021, 7pm
Saturday 24 April 2021, 7pm
Te Pou Theatre
2 Mt Lebanon Lane
$35 General Admission
$30 Concession and group 10+
Book through iticket
Presented by Te Rēhia Theatre Company
Things to know:
- Te Pou is based at Corban estate Arts Centre at the end of Lincoln Road. Follow the black signs on the estate for best parking for Te Pou.
- Arrive early for the full experience. Theatre doors open at 6.30pm with the band playing live music. Before this you can check out our plans for Te Pou Theatre in the foyer.
- The show is seated cabaret style in allocated tables and seats
- There is a bar with wines, beer and non alcoholics and food service before and throughout the show. See menu below from the wonderful Coffee Studio for Tuesday 20 to Friday 23 April. On Saturday 24 April we will have the Kai Kwazine food truck on site!
- There are opportunities for the audience to ask Rawiri Paratene questions, so bring your burning pātai. Can't think of one? In the programme you will find some intriguing question suggestions.
PETER PAKA PARATENE // MENU
Available pre show from 6.15pm and throughout the show
Tuesday 20 - Friday 23 April
Seriously Good Garlic Bread $7 (2 pieces)
Bread smothered with our mixture of butter, herbs & butter popped under the grill
Chicken Burger $16
Free Range Chicken, onion jam, pea butter, aioli & rocket on a Wild Wheat bun
Tofu Burger $14
Panko crumbed Organic Tofu, pea butter, tomato, mayo & rocket on a Wild Wheat bun (Vegan option available)
Smoked Kahawai Toastie $8
Kahawai & pea butter sandwiched between sourdough
Cheese & Sauerkraut Toastie $7
Salted Chocolate & Pumpkin Tart $5.50
Decadent slither of dark chocolate goodness
Ngā mihi nui to our funders: